Georgia O'Keeffe Museum, Santa Fe, NM - Interior design project for the new Georgia O'Keeffe historic home & studio tour visitor Center at Abiquiu. - 2017-18
The American Indian Cultural Center and Museum, Oklahoma City , OK - Assisted in the schematic design for the Museum Store - 2017
Chumash Museum Santa Ynez, CA - Provided planning and store design advisory services - 2017
Mission San Juan Capistrano, CA - Evaluation of New Store Project Results - 2017
The Broad, Los Angeles, CA - Inventory & Sales Control & Oversight Review - 2016
• Studied and prepared recommendations for accurate managing, controlling and reporting of retail inventory and sales.
California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, CA - Retail Evaluation - 2016
Catalina Island Conservancy, Catalina, CA New Store Design Advisory Services - 2016
Calgary Zoo, Calgary, ON - Store Design Guidance - 2016
• Provided design guidance to Jones + Jones architects, for the store at the Eurasian Gateway Building for a Giant Panda Exhibit.
The Headwaters, New Zealand - Export Coordination & Buying - 2015 - ongoing
• Assisted the owners of a start-up non-profit project located In Glenorchy, New Zealand. Organized export procedures and processed shipments. Set-up wholesale accounts, placed orders and prepared for exportation. Analyzed export costs.
The Traveler Store, Bainbridge Island, WA - New Store Design - 2015
• Assisted the owners in planning and designing their new and larger street front store, working with their contractor to implement the new store upgrades.
Discovery Cube Orange County, Santa Ana, CA - Store Planning & Implementation - 2015.
• New museum store business plan, interior design, buying, and store set-up.
The Petersen, Los Angeles, CA - Fixture Specification - 2015
• Provided the designers working on the new Petersen Automotive Museum Store, with an interior layout and specification of fixtures.
Capital Reef National Park Visitor's Center, Torrey, UT- Store Planning - 2015
• Assisted Shelley Stephens + Associates in preparing a visual merchandising plan and preliminary new design layout for a new Visitor's Center Store.
San Antonio Children's Museum "The DoSeum", San Antonio, TX- Store Design - 2015
• Working with Shelley Stephens + Associates designed the interior build-out for the new Museum Store.
Natural History Museum, Los Angeles, CA - Evaluation & Recommendation - 2015
• Retail evaluation and recommendations for improving revenue and operating quality services. Provided goals for Concessionaire improvement.
Crow Collection of Asian Art, Dallas, TX - Store Planning - 2015
• Provided recommendations on locating a new Museum Store inside the Museum or a block away in a larger street-front space.
Discovery Cube Los Angles, Lake View Terrace, CA - New Store Design and Implementation - 2015
• New museum interior design, buying, store display set-up and mentorship of new buyer.
Los Angeles Philharmonic, Los Angeles, CA - Evaluation, Recommendation and Management Search - 2014
• Assisted Shelley Stephens + Associates to evaluate the Philharmonic Store operation and results and make recommendations for improvement. Subsequently assisted Client to find a new Merchandise director.
San Francisco Zoo, San Francisco, CA - RFP for new Concessionaire - 2014
• Working in conjunction with Manask & Associates, evaluated all retail services offered at the Zoo, and participated in an RFP for selection of a new concession operator.
Santa Barbara Zoo, Santa Barbara, CA - Storage and Store Planning - 2014
• On-site evaluation and recommendations for construction and placement of a new storeroom and the cost and feasibility of expanding the main store.
Catalina Island Conservancy, Avalon, CA - Business Plan & Store Design - 2014
• New store business plan, preliminary design direction and recommendations.
Como Friends, Saint Paul, MN - Retail Strategic Planning - 2014
• Assisted Client In developing a growth- based strategy to increase revenue and earned income.
Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach, CA - Post Construction Evaluation - 2013
• Assisted Joan Doyle + Associates to perform a post-construction evaluation of the remodeled, larger Aquarium Store.
Academy of Motion Pictures & Science, Los Angeles, CA - Business Plan & Store Planning - 2013 - 14
• Store design advisory services; and a retails services business plan for the new Academy Museum of Motion Pictures.
El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument, Western National Parks Association, Los Angeles, CA - Business Plan and Feasibility Study - 2013
• Assisting Shelley Stephens + Associates, developed a business plan for a new National Parks Store to be located on the plaza of El Pueblo de Los Angeles.
Field Museum, Chicago, IL - Concessionaire RFP - 2013
• Assisted in the RFP process to select an outside operator for the Museum Stores.
Discovery Children's Museum, Lake View Terrace, CA - Business Plan - 2013
• New museum store business plan.
Mission San Juan Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano, CA - Planning, Buying, Store set-up & Display - 2013
• Inventory mix planning, buying and product development for new Mission Store; visual merchandising and store set-up. Store opened in July, 2013.
Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach, California - Store Design Advisory & Buying Project 2012 - 13
• Working with leadership team developed a store concept, advised on architect selection and participated in store design implementation.
New Mexico Museum Foundation, Santa Fe, New Mexico - Business Evaluation - 2012
Mission San Juan Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano, CA - Business Plan & Design Advisory Services - 2012
Brookfield Zoo, Chicago Zoological Society, Brookfield, IL - Retail Management Organizational Review - 2012
• Reviewing the structure of Client merchandise management team their roles & responsibilities, reporting structure, optimal staffing levels, identifying skill sets and experience levels needed for buying and operations for a retail business Client's size and strategic vision; recommended required elements in the buyer's job description; provided Client with a good understanding of the best retail services business practices and processes relative to the Client's situation and Strategic Plan.
Racine Zoo, Racine, IL - Evaluation - 2012
• Working with Manask & Associates evaluated and provided recommendations for growth and improvement to the current Zoo Store operation.
Henry Doorly Zoo, Omaha, NE - Evaluation and Store Design Advisory Services - 2012 - 13
• Evaluated Client’s new retail store strategy, potential revenues and earned income and the pros & cons of outsourcing this operation. Subsequently assisted Client with store design advisory services.
North Carolina Zoo Society, Ashville, NC - Business Evaluation - 2011
Suquamish Museum, Suquamish, WA - Museum store planning and store design advisory services - 2011-12
New Mexico Museum Foundation, Santa Fe, New Mexico - Business Evaluation - 2012
Mission San Juan Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano, CA - Business Plan 2011, Store design advisory services - 2012
Suquamish Museum, Suquamish, WA - Store Planning & Design Advisory Services - 2011-2012
• Museum store planning and store design advisory services provided on a pro bono basis.
King Abdulaziz Center for Knowledge & Culture, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia - Business Planning and Store Design Advisory Services - 2010-11
• Working as part of a retail project team, led by Doyle + Associates, Marjorie Is contributing to the development of a retail business plan and store design for the ARAMCO sponsored, Snohetta Architects designed center.
Perot Museum of Nature and Science, Dallas TX - Retail Concession RFP - 2010 -11
• Working with Manask & Associates, Marjorie is leading the retail RFP process for identifying a concession operator for the museum store within the new Morphosis Architects designed, leed certified museum.
Museum of Contemporary Art, Cleveland, OH - Store Design Advisory Services - 2011
• Teaming up with Shelley Stephens + Associates, to provide design advisory services for a museum store in the new Foreign Office Architects designed contemporary museum, located in the University Circle area of Cleveland.
Museum of Contemporary Art, Cleveland, OH - Retail Business Plan - 2010
• Teamed up with Shelley Stephens + Associates, to prepare a business plan for a museum store to be located in the new Foreign Office Architects designed contemporary museum. Developed the financial projections used in the business plan.
Marin Historical Museum – Museum Center, San Rafael, CA - Business Plan, Store Interior Design - 2010
• Teamed up with Shelley Stephens + Associates to produce a retail business plan for a new museum store in a Music Center Museum located in a retrofitted “main street” retail building in San Rafael. Led the interior design of the store space.
Museum of Making Museum, Carlsbad, CA – Business Evaluation – 2010
• Worked with Shelley Stephens + Associates, provided an evaluation of the current self-operated museum shop and provided recommendations and financial metric business improvement goals for staff to monitor going forward. The Museum is located in the NAMM office complex (NAMM is the not-for-profit association for the international musical instruments and products industry).
Myriad Botanical Garden Store, Oklahoma City, OK - New Store Business Plan – 2010
• Working with Manask & Associates, prepared recommendations for the location, size, operating models and revenue projections, for a new botanical garden store in conjunction with the remodel of the I.M.Pei “Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory” in the city’s Myriad Botanical Garden.
Southern Ute Cultural Center & Museum, Ignacio, CO – Concessionaire RFP - 2010
• The Southern Ute leadership made the decision to outsource the operation of the store located in the Jones + Jones architects designed Cultural Center & Museum. Marjorie led the RFP project to identify and select a store operator.
Naper Settlement, Naperville, IL - Evaluation & Recommendations - 2009
• Provided an evaluation of current needs relative to museum shop, including support spaces and recommended improvements; provided basic financial projections and return on investment analysis of current space opportunities; and recommended specific steps to achieve identified goals and opportunities.
Al Ain Wildlife Park and Resort, Al Ain, Emirate of Abu Dhabi – Schematic Design - 2009
• Provided retail design guidance to finalize the Schematic design of the Entry Stores and Village Store.
National September 11 Museum and Memorial, New York, NY – Trademark Project for Branded Products – 2009-10
• On assignment with Doyle + Associates, Marjorie coordinated the trademark search and application process for the new product developed for the NS11MM preview center.
The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza, Dallas, TX - New Store Design - 2009
• Teamed up with Corgan Architects and Manask & Associates to design and re-merchandise a new street level store that would support and align with the re-branding of the Museum.
National September 11 Museum and Memorial, New York, NY – Business Plan - 2009
• Teamed up with Joan Doyle + Associates, Marjorie worked with the NS11MM staff to develop a plan for rolling out branded merchandise prior to the opening of the Museum. The Doyle + Associates team systematically studied the feasibility of various distribution channels including e-commerce, wholesale programs, seasonal carts and a brick and mortar store. Marjorie in particular contributed to the e-commerce feasibility component, and advised on the trademark and copyright steps. Doyle + Associates ultimately recommended opening a store front preview center which would include a small museum store and share information about the construction progress and a glimpse into the interpretive messages of the new museum. A NS11MM preview site was opened in August 2009 with a small store. Doyle + Associates developed the products and worked with the architects to design this fast-tracked store set-up. In the summer of 2010 the site welcomed their one millionth visitor to the 9/11 Memorial Preview Site. The milestone was reached less than a year after the Preview Site opened its doors at on August 26, 2009.
Los Angeles Philharmonic, Los Angeles, CA - Business Growth Planning - 2009
• Teamed up with Shelley Stephens + Associates, evaluated current store operation at the Walt Disney Hall and at the Hollywood Bowl. Prepared a strategic business evaluation report which included strategic and operational recommendations, as well as revenue projections.
Musical Instrument Museum, Phoenix, AZ – Business Plan – 2009
• Teamed up with Shelley Stephens + Associates to produce a retail business plan for a museum store in the new Arizona museum.
Yurok Tribe Cultural Center, Klamath, CA - Economic Feasibility Study - 2009
• Marjorie teamed up with Jones + Jones Architects and Reed Hansen Associates to study the economic feasibility of opening a Cultural Center Store.
San Diego Zoo, San Diego, CA - Interior design and Graphics Concept - 2008-09
• Worked with the San Diego Zoo Merchandise team, developed the interior design and graphic concept for the new Elephant shop. Opened - May 2009.
Santa Barbara Zoo, Santa Barbara, CA - Interior Design - 2008-09
• Led the development of a "green" store concept, graphics scheme and interior design package for the remodeled California Trails store. Opened - March 21, 2009
The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza, Dallas, TX - Business Review + New Store Feasibility Study - 2008
• Worked with Manask & Associates, performed a business review on the current store located in the lobby of the book repository. Made short term and long term recommendations for increasing earned income and improving brand Identity. Reviewed and made recommendations on the economic feasibility of opening a new street level store front. Inspected the store space and reviewed the proposed lease. Prepared store concept and financial projections.
Experience Music Project, Seattle, WA - Re-merchandising + Buying + Display - 2008
• Teamed up with Shelley Stephens + Associates evaluated current store image, branding, stock assortments and visual merchandising. Prepared new merchandising directions and buying plan sourced and displayed new product assortments.
Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody, WY - Business Evaluation - 2008
• Contracted with Manask & Associates and teaming up with Shelley Stephens, performed a business review on the current store. Prepared short term and long term recommendations for increased earned income, improved and relevant brand identity and new merchandising directions.
Southern Ute Museum and Cultural Center, Ignacio, CO - Business Plan + Store Design Advisory Services - 2007-08
• Worked with Jones + Jones Architects, prepared a business plan and store design program that addressed self-operation vs. rental or concession operation pros and cons. Formulated design approaches for each operating scenario. Provided retail advisory services for schematic design and design development of the store layout, fixtures, custom cabinetry and graphics.
Aqua Caliente Cultural Museum, Palm Springs, CA - New Store Design - 2008
• Worked with Shelley Stephens + Associates and Jones + Jones Architects, to provide guidance on the design development of the fixtures and custom cabinetry for a new tribal cultural center to be locate in downtown Palm Springs.
Dolphin Quest Hawaii, Hawaii, HI - Business Review + Store Design - 2007-08
• Provided recommendations for the Waikoloa Village Dolphin Quest Retail operations, to facilitate increased revenue and enhance Dolphin Quest’s image. Working with Urbanworks architects, designed the interior of a new store at the Hilton Waikoloa Village and coordinated the procurement of display supplies and gave direction for store set-up.
Museum of Science and Industry MOHAI, Seattle, WA - Museum Store Self-Operation Project - 2007
• Led the development of a museum store self-operation business and implementation plan. Produced the new store concept, and buying plan. Bought the new inventory mix, and set-up new store displays.
Calgary Zoo, Calgary, AB - Business Planning - 2007
• The stores at the Calgary Zoo were considered to be undersized for the current visitor flow. Contracted with Manask & Associates, to provide recommendations for future locations of gift shops, space requirements, and revenue projections for a five year period. Provided visual guidance for the design approach for the new entry Zoo store.
Science Museum of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN - Retail Business Evaluation - 2007
• Worked with Manask & Associates, provided an evaluation of the current self-operated museum shop. Made recommendations and financial projections for new retail opportunities, based upon continued self-operation versus outsourced operation.
Grand Ronde Tribal Cultural Center, Grand Ronde Oregon - Retail Feasibility Study - 2007
• Provided advice and guidance to determine the feasibility of opening a Museum Store operation in a new Grand Ronde Museum and Cultural Center. This study examined the market, store size, sales and revenue projections, preliminary capital outlay estimates, and a breakeven analysis. The report also outlined what is involved in a new store project of this type and documented challenges and opportunities of self-operation versus outsourcing.
Moundville Archaeological Park, Tuscaloosa, AL- New Store Project - 2007
• Teamed up with Shelley Stephens + Associates, to prepare a business plan for a remodeled and expanded store. Developed the financial projections used in the business plan.
Cleveland Museum of Modern Art, Cleveland, OH - New Museum Planning - 2007
• Teamed up with Shelley Stephens + Associates to prepare a business plan for a new museum, developing the financial framework and return on investment planning scenarios.
Paramount Studios, Los Angeles, CA - Business Evaluation - 2007
• Worked as a consultant with Manask & Associates, provided an evaluation, analysis and recommendation covering the current on-site Paramount retail store operations and services that included the main store and prospective satellite stores and related services. The report provided a comprehensive long range approach to the retail portion of the company store business, a blueprint defining the recommended standard merchandise inventory, as well as a plan for special, and potential regular promotional events.
Claremont Museum of Art, Claremont, CA - New Store Set-up - 2007
• Worked as a consultant with Shelley Stephens + Associates, to design, plan, and set-up a new Museum store. The Claremont Museum of Art was located inside a citrus packing house renovated to become a multi-use facility housing a restaurant, a jazz club, several specialty retail stores, and live/work lofts. This project required a contemporary Interior design solution on a tight budget and very short timeframe.
Fort Nisqually Living History Museum, Tacoma, WA - Museum Store Design Program - 2006
• Prepared a store design program brief for a new store location to be included as a part of the reconstruction of the Men's Dwelling House.
Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles, CA – Business Review - 2006
• Teamed up with Manask & Associates to prepare a full business review of the Museum Stores including financial performance, sales, inventory profitability, merchandise directions, store location, size, visual merchandising, wholesale, e-commerce, new store programming, and in-house operation vs. outsourcing. Developed a buying budget reduction model, operating budget model, and recommendations for strategic changes and operating improvements.
Hanford Reach National Monument Interpretive Center, Richland, WA – Start-up Business Plan - 2005
• Developed the Interpretive Center store concept and business plan. The business plan included store mission, objectives, pro forma operating plans, store size, start-up costs, and next steps for store design and development of store operations.
Seattle Chinese Garden, Seattle, WA - Store Design Development - 2005
• Partnered with Jones + Jones architects and the SCG team to design the store layout, and begin the fixture design development.
Seattle Chinese Garden, Seattle, WA - Start-up Business Plan + Store Concept - 2003
• Worked with the Executive Director and Board to develop the store concept and business plan. The business plan included store mission, objectives, pro forma operating plans, buying budgets, store size, and start-up tasks.
Seattle Aquarium Society, Seattle, WA - Operations Review + Store Concept Planning - 2003
• Provided analysis of current and historical data on the Aquarium’s merchandising effort, developed a business and design program including a merchandising concept and image, merchandise plan, space allocations, and sales forecast models. Provided a comparison of concessionaire operation vs. self-operation. Completed a pro forma income and expense statement and a five-year and ten year capital investment plan. Identified business terms for a five-year and ten-year concession lease and recommendations for implementation.
Detroit Zoological Institute, Seattle WA - Concession Master Planning - 2000
• Provided analysis of current and historical data on the Detroit Zoo’s merchandising effort including traffic patterns and sales results. Worked with master-planning team to locate and conceptually define retail venues. Set per capita targets for each venue.
Melbourne Zoological Garden, Melbourne, AUS - Business Review - 1999
• Provided a business review. Developed recommendations for new store concepts, which included: size, location and per capita targets.
Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC - Store Concept - 1998
• Advised Jones + Jones Architects on development of a high-level merchandising concept for the National Museum of the American Indian store space allocations.
San Francisco Zoo - Retail & food service Master-Planning - 1998
Gotschalks' Graphics - Field Museum - Product Development - 1998
Royal Ontario Museum - Business Planning -1998
Disney's California Adventure - Store Concept - 1997
Lincoln Park Zoo - Business Planning - 1995
Brookfield Zoo - Business Planning - 1994